Thursday, February 4, 2010
World Nutella Day...Yummy!!
Combine chocolate and hazelnuts and a few other things (the main thing is the chocolate and hazelnuts) and you get that wonderful creamy, chocolatey hazelnut spread, that's called Nutella.
But did you know that you can make that marvelous concoction in your own home?
Yes, it's true.
And what better day to give it a try than February 5th which is World Nutella Day! This, 2010, will be the the 5th World Nutella Day and a yummy fun day it is.
There are tons of recipes for making Nutella.
Some recipes use powdered sugar (Cook&Eat) , others use flavored oils (Italy in SF) , a few use cocoa powder (recipe in the LA times) , this recipe seems to use a combination of everything (Vegan Visitor) , this recipe is very simple (Kids Cooking), and this recipe even used maple syrup (Stylesmith) !
No matter which recipe you choose (and there are many, many more) you're sure to find that the key ingredients are Hazelnuts (duh!) and some form of Chocolate. (Well, I did see a recipe that used almonds instead of hazelnuts but that was just wrong!) Experiment and see which recipe and combination of ingredients works for you.
Talk about a really yummy science experiment!
Once you've made your homemade Nutella, you'll need a recipe to test it out, of course.
Here's a fabulous recipe for Chocolate Nutella Pizza:
* 1 package of refrigerated slice and bake Sugar Cookie Dough
* your Nutella
* Sliced Banana and Strawberries (or any fruit of your choice)
1. Spread the cookie dough on to a pizza pan or a cookie sheet
2. Bake the cookie according to the directions on the package
3. When your pizza base/cookie is done let cool slightly
4. Spread Nutella on the "pizza" , be generous. Think of it as the pizza sauce.
5. Decorate the top of your pizza with slices of strawberries and bananas or whatever fruits work for you.
For more Nutella fun check out these sites:
Top 10 Signs You're Addicted to Nutella
50 Ways to Eat Nutella
More yummy ways to cook with Nutella
World Nutella Day