Monday, August 25, 2008

Hair!! To cut or not to cut?? Oy! What a question!!!

Yep! You guessed it. I am trying to decide whether to cut my hair.

(BY THE WAY.... NONE of these pics are ME! I just used them as examples...just wanted to mention it...back to our blog!)

I haven't really "changed" my hairstlye in ....well, apparently quite some time.
For those who do not know...and that would be most folks...I have "locs".
You know..some folks call them "dreads" or "dreadlocks" but really!
Is it just me? Or do those names sound really negative?
Dreads???
Anyway, I have had locs for maybe 10 years...can't remember.... and the most I have ever done to them is to cut them last winter.
They used to be down my back and now they are kinda, almost shoulder length.
Well, you have to see it.
Anyhoo, I am thinking of getting rid of the locs and going back to "twisting" my hair which is similar to locs but not as permanent.
For those not familiar with locs, the only way to get rid of them is to cut them off.
There is really no "un" locking them. So, usually that means your hair will be a mite short for awhile.
Back in the day...that would be in my late 20's early 30's I would just say..."What the hey! It's only hair. It will grow back."
But it would seem that in my 40's I have grown a little more cautious.
Sigh!!...does this mean I'm getting old???
I have some pics (you may have noticed) of women with short "natural" hair.
Natural meaning not relaxed, permed or staightened. I have nothing against any of those processes....I just don't want to do them.
Some of these pics are causing me to "flashback" to the 70's.


Hmmm...just realized I don't really have any pics of "older" women..ie 40's and above...with short natural styles.
I will have to go look.
Okay...found a few!
So, I'm thinking of doing this ....cutting my hair...this weeek.
So y'all need to opine FAST!!!!
I have included the pic of the lady with the lovely grey twists and the pic of the group Sweet Honey in the Rock, just to give you an idea of all of the natural styles out there. And cause I felt like it!
Love, Laughter, Peace and Blessings y'all!!

Shoot! Okay, since I used their pic, I figured I would end with a song from Sweet Honey. You might notice that the members are different in this vid but the music is always great. Enjoy!

Postscript......I DID IT!!! Yep! I cut my hair. It's actually not all that short but it is short enough. Presently, I am twisting it and trying to let it get a breather.
We will see what happens next!!!

2 comments:

Pepper McKean said...

I love the gray twists, I also like her face.

I would go with short hair because it is easier to maintain. I like picture 1 at the top and picture 3.

Of course you could do what I did, back in the days of working at an office, and go for the crew cut. I was and still am not into styles but comfort..... also a little shock and awe if you know what I mean.

Talk to the mean "whoops" with the crew cut. LOL

Spiral_Thoughts said...

i bet ya look gorgeous! Sorry it took so long to respond.. been moping around in my private misery way too long.