Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Gummi Worm Day!!
Remember that song? Yes, I know it's kind of gross but , hey, what can you expect from a kids song??
Normally, none of us would think of eating worms (I hope!) but July 15th is Gummi Worm Day. The perfect day to make and eat worms!
Homemade Gummi Worms much simpler to make than you would think. You need:
12 tbsp sugar
1 1/3 cup orange juice
8 tbsp corn syrup
8 tbsp unflavored gelatin
Food coloring, optional
Superfine Sugar for coating
1. Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by wetting it lightly with water.
2. Place gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water to soften for about 5 minutes.
3. Place the juice, sugar (regular not the superfine) and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
5. Stir in the gelatin and continue stirring until gelatin dissolves.
6. At this point add food coloring if desired.
7. Pour into prepared pan and leave until completely set, 4-6 hours at room temperature or 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
8. When set, turn out of pan and cut with a sharp knife into long, thin strips to resemble worms.
9. Roll your worms in the superfine sugar.
Now go out there and eat some worms!!!!